Water Filter Construction

I made a water filter using red pebbles, charcoal, black sand, a sieve, and a paper towel.





The dirty water came from mixing dirt from our plants with tap water. After the filtering the water got cleaner. However, the pH did not change. The pH tester probably didn’t work, but I tried.



Calculations




Dirty water approximately 7.7        Clean water approximately 7.7
According to a scale on faa.gov 7.7pH equals 19.953 nEq/L [H+]

Chemistry

I chose this water filter because those were the resources that we had. It is like natural filtration because that is like how water is naturally filtered through rocks, dirt, sand, and magma.  For example water is cleaner around volcanoes because the heat from lava usually gets rid of all the germs and magma is similar to coal when it is around water, therefore when water goes through lava it gets filtered.

Lab Report

Question: Will my homemade water filter clean water?

Hypothesis: I think the filtered water will be cleaner, but not clean enough to drink.

Materials: Red pebbles, black sand, charcoal, sieve, two mason jars, and a soil pH meter.

Procedure: First I made dirty water with dirt from my plant and tap water.  Then I made the filter using red pebbles, sand, charcoal, and a sieve.  Then I poured dirty water into the filter and the water came out dirty, but cleaner than before.

Results: The water was cleaner, but the pH was the same.

Conclusion: The pH tester probably didn’t work because the pH was the same for the dirty water and the clean water.

Comments

Popular Posts